With the impending death of PSTN, and the abundant features available in VoIP and IP based communication, more and businesses are switching over to IP based communication. What we are talking about here is just voice based calling.
But, IP based communications is much more than that. It is large amalgam of voice, video and computer and data integration. Let us understand what this entails.
At the heart of web communications is Unified Communications (UC). Essentially an UC suite integrates various communication medium so that they can work in a complimentary manner. This way, recipients get the information they need, though in multiple ways. Some the features of UC include:
- Presence and Instant Messaging
- Outbound Dialing From Any Application
- Desktop Call Control
- CRM Integration and Screen-pops
- One Number Access (find me/follow me sequential ringing)
- Off-premises Call Forwarding
- Personal Call Handling
- Fixed Mobile Convergence
- Meet-Me Conferencing and Web Collaboration
- Unified Messaging
- Exchange 2007 Integration
- Office Communication Server 2007 (OCS) Integration
- Remote Connection and Mobility
An enterprise level web communications has multiple components.
- The Session Border Controller. The SBC is deployed to have control over signaling between any two streams of communication. The term ‘session’ simply mean communication at a particular moment in time, and ‘border’ means two or more communication end points. Initially started as controlling just VoIP, SBC now includes UC, SIP Trunking, and wide area network services. An SBC also, to some extent, handles security issues, interoperability, and reliability.
- Operations Monitor. The Communication operation monitor can be deployed in many ways. Essentially, it works in real-time and monitors and helps trouble shoot any interference or disturbance to the ongoing communication. The objective of operations monitor is to assure the communication service.
- Communication Broker. A large enterprise usually works with multiple vendors of hardware and software. Whether it is voice, video, messaging, or data transportation, it is the job of the communication broker to ensure they all work with each other.
- Application Session Controller. When you have a large computerized system with CRM and ERP in place, it makes sense to integrate that with your communication process. ASC does that for you. It integrates real-time IP voice and video communication into your desired business applications.
- Interactive Session Recorder. When you have some serious business discussion with clients and partners, it might be better to have a record of what was said and agreed upon. The ISR records all voice and video and session based communications. This feature is also a must for call centers that need to analyze calls.
- WebRTC Session Controller. WebRTC is a communication standard developed by W3C. It allows two enabled browsers to have real-time communication. For stuff like voice and video communication, the web browser becomes the ‘application’. It avoids the need for software downloads or registration. Similar to ASC, WSC manages communication between two browsers in real-time.
These are the main components of a web communications for enterprises that have large office network as well as clients spread across the nation. These components make it easy for you to manage your VoIP and IP based communication and also integrate them well with your other applications.
For over 26 years we have been delivering top grade products and services to 1000s of clients. We are currently carrying attractive offers for new clients. Call (855) 315-6611 to see what we can do for your telecom needs.